Friday, September 4, 2015

Practicing Incorporating a Quotaion

The film, Glory, is a very serious and accurate movie about the Civil War. It recognizes the highlights but also shows how serious the war really was. It made me feel bad for the soldiers to watch how they were treated and to watch them be underestimated due to their race. The movie really showed the happy things that happened but it also didn't avoid the bad, sensitive things that other movies tend to leave out. The New York Times said, ''Glory'' is celebratory, but it celebrates in a manner that insists on acknowledging the sorrow." This is a good quote because it talks about both the good and bad that occured in war which was accurately presented in the movie. It is important that the movie acknowledged the sorrow because a lot of movies and authors tend to leave that out because they don't want to put people down or show how bad the war really was.

This is what Mrs. Lawson wanted me to learn today:

  • Only use a quote when it adds power and style to my writing
  • Always make it clear, from context, that I understand the full meaning of the quote
  • Whether I quote or paraphrase, always be transparent about the source and how I'm using it
  • If I use another author's exact words or phrases, to any extent, I have to use quotation marks and give credit
  • If I use another author's presentation or facts or ideas, but put their ideas in my own words, I better have a good reason for doing that, and I MUST give credit
  • Hyperlinking is so easy, there is no excuse for not being transparent about my sources
I think I need a little bit more practice to be confident that I can do it correctly. What is the difference from exact words and an authors presentation of words?

No comments:

Post a Comment